With this post, I intend to start a series about the ships on my hangar, talking about what I think, how I use and what I fit on them. I’ll start with the Machariel, a battleship from the Angel Cartel.
I first moved to a 0.0 region, back in 2006, when I joined ASEE. They were living at the time in the great wildlands (IIRC), and while ratting there I came across my first Machariel, a NPC ship on the belts. At first I thought “That’s only a megathron”, but then I looked closely. It was a battleship like no other I had seen! At that moment I said to myself that I would have one. After searching a little, and my EVE-FU at the time being really low, I “discovered” that it was only a NPC ship. It would take me some months to learn that the Machariel could be bought, and I also learned I would never have the dough to buy one, not counting the lack of skills to fly it, as I was a missile Caldari user.
Fast forward 4 years. Now I can get enough ISK to buy a ship like this, I have the skills and the ship got a boost last patch (Dominion). So, there I go and buy a Machariel, a few days before Dominion patch launches. And I start to run some missions using it. And I start to love it. It is an awesome ship! I fly around all over the missions, everything melts under the fire of my cannons, and that beast of a ship is damn sexy! It is faster and more agile than my Astarte, and has 50% more DPS than my Kronos. What I find impressive about this ship is:
- It’s one of the better looking ships in the game.
- It’s as fast and agile as the better battlecruisers, and even some slow ass cruisers. I got mine to 620 m/s.
- It has DPS enough to finish any level 4 mission. With the change to projectiles, i can get more than 1000 DPS of selectable damage type.
- It is one of the biggest ships (under capitals, of course) in EVE.
- It has the sig radius of a big cruiser, so those damn missiles does less damage.
- The drone hangar size. With 100 m3, I carry a mix of hobgoblins T2 and hammerheads T2, but normally I forget to launch them before I kill everything.
What I don’t like about it is:
- Lack of 8th turret. In ships were you have guns grouped side by side, you should have an even number of guns, for aesthetics reasons. And I wouldn’t mind the extra DPS, of course.
- The ammo consumption. It eats ammo like it’s candy! And as I’m not a cheap bastard, I use RF ammo. I know that cuts on my ISK/hour, but I like to get the most DPS I can from my ships.
- The sound on the large ACs. I know it’s not the mach’s fault, but I think that they should sound like Gatling guns: dakka dakka dakka!
This is my current setup for angels missions. I can do angels extravaganza with it, including the bonus room.
[Machariel, Angels – AC]
Republic Fleet Gyrostabilizer x 3
Caldari Navy Power Diagnostic System
Mizuro’s Modified Tracking Enhancer
Domination Tracking Enhancer
Damage Control II
Core A-Type 100MN Afterburner
Pith B-Type Large Shield Booster
Pith B-Type Explosion Dampening Field
Dread Guristas Invulnerability Field
Caldari Navy Invulnerability Field
800mm Repeating Artillery II, Republic Fleet Fusion L x 7
True Sansha Heavy Nosferatu
Large Semiconductor Memory Cell I x 2
Large Projectile Metastasis Adjuster I
Hobgoblin II x5
Hammerhead II x5
My modus operandi with this ship is: Circle my target at 15 km, shooting and nosing it, and sending the hobgoblins against frigs. After the frigs are gone, I recall them and use the hammerheads against my current target. It is very important to never stop, always running around. I always keep the AB running, and with the combination of speed and small sig radius, you can mitigate a lot of the missile damage coming your way. And when I say a lot, I mean it.